
To those out there in Big Blue Nation get ready. And no, not for anymore bad news concerning NCAA allegations against Coach Cal, or bad blog rumors saying John Wall to play professionally in Greece. Not that at all. What I am talking about is much worst. (slight sarcasm there, :D) Prepare yourselves for Jodie Meeks staying in the NBA draft and leaving his number twenty-three jersey hanging in one of the Craft Center lockers. Since putting his name into the hat of this years NBA draft, the talk around the bluegrass has been, "He's just testing the waters, Jodie is definitely coming back." "No way Jodie goes, he wants to stay here and win a championship." And up until recently I was one of those people as well. However, with the draft deadline (the last day to take your name out of the draft and return to school) less than two weeks away, I have taken my blue sunglasses off and stepped into the reality world. Jodie is GONE. Let me say it again, Kentucky fans, prepare yourself, Jodie Meeks will not return next season.
After playing for two different coaches, and with the possibility of a third, I think Jodie has had enough. Which who can blame him? Furthermore, he is enamored with the pro-game, and the likelyhood he would not improve his draft stock next year and feels like his game is NBA ready. After having a great Junior season and having an almost unheard of 54 point game he feels it is his time. His 23.7 points per game last year is impressive. However, his 1.8 assists per game or 3.4 rebounds per game is not. Pile on his horrible assist to turnover ratio then NBA execs may have a problem. But, Jodie is so frustrated with how last season went, he is willing to do anything to get out of town and is just holding to any reason to stay in the draft. Hurting the situation is the fact Jodie has worked out for about a dozen NBA teams, and every GM/scout/coach has been saying the same things. What they are saying is what I would call double speak, thus sounding good to Jodie, but sounding like a lie to Kentucky fans.
A recent example is a workout Jodie had for the Philadelphia 76ers. Along with Jodie were four other potential draft picks, Tarrance Williams (Louisville), Ty Lawson (North Carolina, Toney Douglas (Florida State), and Stefon Jackson (UTEP). All five guys are considered by the 76ers organization as "possible" first round selections and some second round if they go that far. It is also considered up to three and possibly all four could be higher on Phili's agenda than Meeks. It is also thought that all five could potentially all still be on the board when it comes time to pick at 17. Furthermore, these aren't the only guys the 76ers have their eyes on, just the ones brought in the same day as Meeks. So what I am trying to say is this is not a good thing for Jodie, and although many are making him think he's first round material, they are only setting him up to be regretting his decision. Meeks has stated several times he wants a guarantee to be a first rounder in order to stay in the draft, a guarantee he has not yet received. However, maybe, just maybe what he has heard from front office guys are enough to keep him around, and enough to let them snag him in the second round.
For those who don't know, any player drafted in round two of the NBA draft are not guaranteed a contract, or even a spot on the squad. In fact almost more than half end up in the NBA's developmental league, the NBDL. That is the same fate that held up for ex-UK standout and NBA draft gun jumper Keleana Azubuike. Bookie too thought his game was NBA ready, and cost himself a lot of money and almost three years in the D-League battling to make an NBA squad. He now plays for the Golden State Warriors, but took the hard way to get there.
After the recent rookie scouting combine, Jodie's scouting report comes as follows.
STRENGTHS:
- Excellent skill-level
- Role-player potential
- High-level productivity
- Solid frame
- 3-point shooting
- 3-point shooting percentages
- Ability to come off screens
- Free throw shooting
- Pull-up jumper
WEAKNESSES:
- Scoring instincts
- Average ball-handler
- Ability to defend position at next level?
- Defensive awareness
- Did not win in college
- Limited upside?
- Average athleticism
- Undersized
- Ability to create separation from defender
So that's the scenario, will Meek's stay in, prevail, or turn into the next Azubuike? That is yet to be seen. Most mock drafts have Meeks going mid to late second round, still that is not deterring him. Instead he is listening to the guys who really matter, although like said could be setting him up for failure. An NBA GM is not going to tell you going back to college is the best choice when they can nab you with a second round pick, pay you the league minimum, and develop you. One person Jodie has looked to is former Kentucky coach, Orlando Tubby Smith. Like him or not Smith is a great guy and will never lead a player in the wrong direction. However, some people still may be in his ear telling him to go. So when it boils down to it, Meeks is in a battle of who to listen to, and all I know is I hope it is the right people.
This comes from Jodie's website...
My NBA predraft assessment was a snapshot, a picture of what the NBA saw in me when I entered into the draft. It said I could be as high as middle first round, could be late first round prior to any workouts, but as people declare for the draft it could change. I could also be as low as the early second round if the teams needs, or if other players were viewed ahead of me. I know the mock drafts didn't know that information, but it has been interesting to see people say I wouldn't even be drafted! I have only gathered input from NBA personnel. One of the GM's from the NBA shared with me that he thought I would be a better player in the NBA than I was at college, another said he thought I could be a big scorer in the pro's. One day I hope I can live up to their expectations. The input has been good. I will continue to work hard, and will make a decision prior to the deadline.
Thanks for all of your support and interest.
It could also be some of the last words Jodie comes out with as a Kentucky Wildcat. In the end though, the only thing that matters is what is best for #23. I wish Jodie the best no matter what he does, and have enjoyed watching him play in a Kentucky uniform. Him dropping 54 at Tennessee is one of the most incredible sporting moments I have ever witnessed. If he decides to stay in, I hope he makes a team, and has a great NBA career. If not, instead of saying told you so, I will feel very sorry for him and hope he eventually makes a pro roster. Again, I believe J Meeks is gone, but taking the Jeff Drummond approach its also a way of kind of jinxing him to stay. But in my very honest opinion his bags are already packed. If there is one thing I get wrong however, I hope that it is this.
No comments:
Post a Comment