
Once again the weekend is over with, and while I sit here on a rainy Monday it was as if it was never even here. I have no idea why days with nothing but studying and class go by so slow and miserable, but the days you actually have the option to sit around and do nothing fly by. It makes no sense, but I guess there is a lot of things that make no sense.
Anyway, pretty good weekend of sports. I touched on the Aldo/Faber fight in the Saturday Night/Sunday Morning post, as well as a couple of NBA Playoff games. Yesterday there was another foursome of games on the hardwood, two being in the Eastern Conference, the other two from the West.
King James did what he does, and the Cavaliers push their lead on the Chicago Bulls to three games to one for the series with the final score 121-98. Lebron James with another playoff triple double shows once again why he is the most complete player in the NBA. He finished with 37 points, 12 rebounds, and 11 assists. Also impressive was he done so on 11-17 shooting, while also converting 9 of 10 from the free throw line. Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah both had 21 for the Bulls. Probably the best thing going for this series right now is that the Cavs are only one game away from us not having to look at the hideousness of Joakim Noah until at least next year, thank the Lord. Keep your fingers crossed we only have to see his ugly annoying ass for one more game.
Mark Cuban is somewhere this morning swallowing a handful of anxiety pills. After he went all in at the trade deadline pulling in Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood from the Wizards, his Dallas Mavericks team went on a run that was at the time the best in the NBA. Since, they had still continued to play good basketball, but after yesterday's loss trail the San Antonio Spurs 3-1 in the series. Final score of yesterday's game being 92-89. If the Mavericks do succumb to the Spurs, it could end up being a long ride back to the top for a team who's four key componets (Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd, Shawn Marion, and Caron Butler) are all getting well into their thirties. Butler being the youngest at 30 years of age. Mark Cuban was trying to build his team to make a run this season, and for a while it looked as if they would do so, right now though its not looking good. This Texas Showdown will continue Tuesday as the Spurs come to town.
Also in the West, the Utah Jazz win 117 to 106 over the Denver Nuggets increasing their series lead to 3-1. Nuggets coach George Karl has had to watch his team play from his television set after his recent bout with cancer. He is still undergoing radiation treatments, and we can continue to hope he pulls through okay and eventually gets back on the Denver bench. The initial plan was that he would be back here in the playoffs, but now that is not likely. I wish George Karl a speedy recover, and as a JR Smith fan, also hope for a Nuggets recovery in the series. Side note, JR Smith is the most underrated player in the league, at times he can take over the game. But at other times he isn't very effective. I guess one of many reasons the Nuggets are looking at going home after the First Round.
In what was without question (IMO anyway) the best game from yesterday, DeWayne Wade and the Miami Heat fought for their playoff lives and has held on for one more game. The series will resume back in Boston, and that could ultimately send Wade and the Heat to the house. However, what Wade did in yesterday's game was nothing short of heroic. When you play basketball at this level, it is rare that single players take over a game enough that their team actually gets the win. Only the great ones can do it, and even they only do so every once in a while. Yesterday was one of those times. Going 46, 5 and 5 (points, rebounds, and assists) Wade loaded his team on his back and led them to a 101-92 victory. The way he controlled the second half, hmmm hmmm, the fourth quarter, it was clear that he would not end his season in Miami, at least not yesterday. Even though Quentin Richardson chipped in twenty points, it is clear Wade has little help in Miami. Top 3 pick and college superstar Michael Beasley has been nothing short of a bust, and with his lack there of work ethic doesn't seem like his games going to be changing all that much. I hate to say that because I like Michael Beasley and was a huge fan of what he done in high school and at K State. I guess that just shows you some guys like to win, and some guys just like the money. For the Celtics, Kentucky product and our boy Rajon Rondo put on a show in the first. He was the first half's anti-D Wade, but couldn't repeat his mastery in the second half, he finished with 23, 9, and 4 (points, assists, and rebounds) for the game. The Big Three (Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett) finished with a combined 49 (points).
Now I'm not a huge NASCAR fan by any means, but theres a couple things I do love about it. One is the extreme southernness/countryness of it. Two is the hardcore, bang it out, go almost 200mph racing. Three, the super pnarley wrecks (as long as no one is injured). Luckily Talladega has all three, key reason I actually watched more than just the last 5 laps (as I do most races I do watch). In what could be one of the best finishes we will see this year, Kevin Harvick nosed out teammate Jamie McMurray to grab his first win in over three years. The race had to be restarted three times in the last two laps (known in NASCAR as the Green White Checkers) after a caution had brought the race down from ten laps to two. The Green, White, Checkers format allows for up to three restarts, as long as a caution happens before the racers get back to the line before the white flag comes out signaling the last lap. After a couple of multi car wrecks, the third and last time was all that was needed for Harvick and McMurray to battle it out, Harvick not making his move until the last corner and crossing the line just mere feet ahead of McMurray. During a couple of the previous pile ups, rising tensions again grew to a boiling point between teammates Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson. If you do like NASCAR, you probably need to keep your eye on that, it is shaping up to be a huge rivalry. Dale Jr. finished 13th after being in contention to win during the first two Green/White/Cherckers runs. He sits at 8th in the point standings, and still remains primarily the only reason I care at all about NASCAR. Jimmie Johnson is your points leader, and is looking for his un heard of fifth championship in a row.
Of course there was also some Hockey and Baseball being played yesterday, and like last time I don't care enough to write about it. In Hockey, I watched the Olympics and I actually kind of got into it, as far as the NHL goes, not so much. And is it just me or does it always seem like its Hockey season? I mean what is it, do these guys get like a month off a year or something? Thankfully the NHL doesn't have a major network deal or else we would have to see or hear about it a lot more than we do. As for baseball, don't take it the wrong way, I love baseball, I really love baseball. May actually be my favorite sport. But again in a season that has 162 games not that many news worthy stories come out on a daily basis, at least not for me to write about That is unless I am going to be making fun of somebody, or discussing my hate for the Bankee's, I mean the Yankee's. My Cubs are off to a slow start, but after holding one of the best records in baseball the season before last, I am still holding firm to the notion this may be the season, and I will wait at least until the All-Star break before I worry. ATTENTION: If you plan on being a Cubs fan, prepare for a lot of heartache.
Remember playoff basketball again tonight, as well as some good baseball games. Oh and if your like me and like watching random tv shows, tune into the History Channel at 10pm and catch Pawn Stars.
On one last note, UK recuit and must have for the 2010 class Terrence Jones will be announcing his college choice Friday, April 30th. Jones' long time friend and former teammate gave his commitment to the University of Washington last night after a visit to the school. Many had believed Jones and Ross were maybe planning to attend the same school being they had discussed the matter amongst themselves quite a bit. The initial plan for both was to actually announce their choices at the same time, but now that Ross has already pulled the trigger for Washington, that may point to Jones heading elsewhere, possibly Kentucky???? One can only hope. So when you say your prayers tonight, as for Calipari to be able to land Terrence Jones, so once again UK can be competing for a Championship in basketball.
Also check us out on facebook, you can find it here... http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=100817673295759
That is all. Have a great rainy day, and a great hopefully sunny week.
No comments:
Post a Comment