
It can pull some jokes now in young adulthood, but man I'm not going to lie, I used to love wrestling. Loved me some wrestling. In fact most boys I grew up with did as well. Back before the day and age of billion dollar entertainment, there was just good ole grass roots wrestling, or as some would say, wrastlin. Before elaborate stage shows and soap opera esque plot lines was just good ole fashioned good guys, and the villain. Then of course who could forget the worst of the worst, the hero wrestler turned heel (bad guy), ala Hulk Hogan transforming into Hollywood Hogan and joining the nWo. In the days of stinger splashes, scorpion death locks, and the dreaded torture rack were sports figures who would go on to have an impact on the lives of young kids everywhere. Here I sit writing this blog post as one of those kids.
The sport lost one of its favorite hero's yesterday in Macho Man Randy Savage. The iconic slim jim spokesman died during a car crash early Friday morning, his brother, Lanny Poffo indicated Randy had suffered a heart attack prior to the crash. Randy's wife Lynn was with Poffo at the time of the accident but suffered only minor injuries.
I'm not going to lie, when I heard this yesterday I almost had to shed a tear because like many before him Randy Poffo (Macho Man) died before his time. In a sport that is "fake" these guys go through much hardship and put their body and mind through incredible sacrifices. Many rely heavily on painkillers and other narcotics and wrestling still remains the lone sport who has yet to shun the use of anabolic steroids. So yesterday, on through today I have had to reflect on many child hood memories of watching the fearless Macho Man fly through the air with that patented elbow from the top rope. I can still picture him snapping into a slim jim or giving us a big OOOoooohhhhhh Yeeeeaaaaahhhhhh. One things for sure, like many before him, the Macho Man will always be remembered, and for twenty some year old guys every where will always be a legend.
RIP Macho.
No comments:
Post a Comment